Week 7 Story: Pandavas the Explorers

Pandavas the Explorers


(Dora and the bridge troll, Source: Google)

Yudhishthira
[Chanting] Where are we going? *clap clap clap*

Pandavas
[Chanting] To hunt a sacred animal!

Yudhishthira
[Chanting] Where are we going? *clap clap clap*

Pandavas
[Chanting] To hunt a sacred animal!

Yudhishthira
Hey, Map! Where do we need to go next?

Map
You need to cross that lake over there.

Yudhishthira
Thanks, map!
Guys, we have to cross this lake first to get to our animal, but it looks like there's a troll guarding the bridge! 
Nakula, can you see if the troll will let us cross the bridge?

Nakula
Sure! [walks to troll, then walks back]
Sorry, Yudhisthira, the troll said we can't cross unless we solve his riddle!

Sahadeva
Let me try! [walks to troll, then walks back]
Sorry, Yudhishthira, I didn't know the answer to his riddle!

Bhima
I bet I can figure it out!
[walks to troll, then walks back]
Sorry, Yudhishthira, I didn't know the answer either.

Arjuna
I know, we can use a tool from our handy-dandy backpack!
Hey, backpack!

Backpack
What can I get for you?

Arjuna
Do you have anything that can help us solve the riddle so the troll will let us cross the bridge?

Backpack
No, but I have a bow and arrow.

Arjuna
That will work!
I'll just shoot him with an arrow, then we can cross!
[walks to troll and shoots with arrow, then walks back.]
Sorry, Yudhishthira, that troll is really stubborn. Even the arrow didn't convince him to let us cross. 
He said the only way to cross the bridge is to solve the riddle.

Yudhishthira
I will try to solve the riddle! We can do this, brothers!
[walks to troll]

Troll
Solve this riddle and you can pass:
Give me food and I will live, but give me water and I will die. 
What am I?

Yudhishthira
Oh, I know this one! The answer is fire!

Troll
Correct. Yudhishthira, your wisdom will allow you and your brothers to cross this bridge and continue on your hunt. 
Also, I am your father.

Pandavas
(Cheering) Yudhishthira saved the day!


Author's Note: This story is based on the "Riddles at the Lake" story in the Mahabharata. When I was reading it, the riddles reminded me of an episode of Dora the Explorer, so I went with it. The troll plays the role of the voice that ends up being Dharma and the celestial sire of Yudhishthira. Since this is a children's show, instead of dying, the other brothers were just denied access to the bridge. The setting is still a lake, but they don't drink from it, they just cross it. They are still on a hunt for an animal too. Yudhishthira's correct answer to the riddles saved all of his brothers.

Story Source:
Riddles at the Lake: Indian Myth and Legend by Donald A. Mackenzie (1913).

Comments

  1. Hi Sarah! This is incredible. First of all, the Dora theme is great. So creative! I liked that you seemed to try out screenplay format. If you decide to use this story in your portfolio (if you are doing a portfolio) then you should look up the guidelines for formatting a screenplay, and maybe you can add some action blocks and a scene heading. Also, I giggled at the "Also, I am your father" part. This is really funny, and I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! I really enjoyed your story. I actually based my story on this portion of the Mahabharata as well, but I took it in a completely different direction. I think you were so creative in making it a Dora theme, I would've never thought of something like that. The screenplay format also immediately caught my attention. I haven't seen anyone try to write their stories in that format so far, it was unique. I think it was done well, and I also laughed at the "Also, I am your father" line. It was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Sarah! I love how creative you got with this story and incorporated Dora the Explorer into it. Your story made it very nostalgic for me and brought back many of my childhood memories. I liked how you used screenplay format because I haven't came across a story with that format before. Overall, great story, so keep up the good work. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Sarah! I absolutely love that you wrote your story like an episode of Dora the Explorer. I never would have thought of it, but it really works! The clapping sounds at the beginning make it so realistic. I appreciate that you took a really sad part of the Mahabharata and lightened it up, but still kept the integrity of the story. Overall, I thought you did a really great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well isn’t this story adorable! I thought it was a very clever way to re-tell this story. I also liked how you broke it down into stanza-like structures for each character. It made it easier to read as well as imagine that you are following each character as they approach the troll to as the riddle. The only suggestion I would make is the ending. It feels like it was just kind of thrown on there that the troll was the father. You could expand on that a little and add to the story so it would explain a little more. Other than that, the story was fantastic. Great job with this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sarah! I absolutely loved your story! It was so creative and clever and I really enjoyed getting to read it. Your story works so well with the original story too, I was really impressed. The picture just really brings the whole thing together. I can tell you put a lot of time and thought into the story and it really paid off! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah! I was going back and reading more of your stories and came across this one, and am glad I did! I think this story was so creative and fun to read. I would have never thought about turning this story into a Dora the Explorer inspired story. Very cool that you thought of that! Overall, great job with this story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment