Why are there so many Mattress Firms? An Introduction

Sarah Betz A.K.A. the Next Amal Clooney

(George Clooney, left, and Amal Clooney, right. Source: Emirates Woman)


(A picture of me, summer 2019)
If you are unfamiliar with Amal Clooney, she is married to famous actor, George Clooney, but more than that she is a distinguished international human rights lawyer. If you are unfamiliar with me, my name is Sarah Betz and I plan on becoming an international human rights lawyer like Amal Clooney. 

(Interactive World Religion Map, Source: PBS)
My major is religious studies, which seems somewhat unrelated to law, but I think is very relevant to international human rights because religion can play a large role in culture and values so trying to understand why people value what they do can help me communicate with people from different backgrounds. As an aspiring international lawyer, I think it is imperative for me to travel to other countries to experience as many cultures outside of my own to help broaden my worldview. So far I have been to China, France, Italy, Morocco, and Israel, and next summer I am going to Spain and Greece. 

My mom is Chinese and her family lives in Tianjin (located right next to Beijing, the capitol), so I have been to China twice now to visit family and also study abroad in the summer of 2017. I learned about ancient Israel in a lot of my classes, so I decided to study abroad in Israel in the summer of 2018 (I also discussed this trip in My Favorite Places post). In Israel I got to observe firsthand Jewish and Muslim traditions that I had previously only studied in a textbook. I also got to talk to prominent religious figures that are directly involved in the Israel/Palestine conflict, specifically the religious and political conflict over Jerusalem and Temple Mount. 

These cultural experiences have taught me that some things that western culture might consider impeding basic human rights is part of the tradition innate to other cultures, and these cultural differences are something that international human rights lawyers have to be considerate of and can make agreeing on universal human rights a difficult challenge. After law school, I plan on joining the Peace Corps before diving into my career so I have a chance to make deeper connections with people of different cultural backgrounds.

(Enneagram Type Chart, Source: Your Enneagram Coach)
I'm an enneagram type 9 wing 8, so I'm a strong advocate for world peace and conflict resolution (don't worry I'm not a hippie, but funny story my dad was in the '70s and now he's a pastor). Also I'm very obsessed with the enneagram and its tools for personal growth so I highly recommend taking this free version of the test: Enneagram Test

(Why are there so many Mattress Firms? Source: Business Insider)

(Britney Spears with shaved head, left, and George W. Bush, right. Source: Vice)
I'm also really into conspiracy theories so don't ask me about the Mattress Firm conspiracy unless you're ready to talk about it for at least an hour. But here's a summary of the conspiracy in case you want to know: Mattress Firm Conspiracy. I am also thoroughly convinced Britney Spears was a government pawn used to cover up mistakes from the Bush administration (the timeline definitely checks out). 

(Moose, taken by me in June 2018)
This is my dog, Moose. He looks cute but he's a psycho. He is 1 year 8 months old and I have no idea what breed he is. All I know is that he is extremely naughty and likes to destroy cantaloups from my dad's beloved garden, but I still love him. 

Comments

  1. Oh, it sounds like this could be a really useful class for your future career, Sarah! India and south Asia more broadly is a place of many cultures (including tribal peoples), many religions... which also means conflict and discrimination too. As you get started reading the Ramayana in Week 3, you might want to learn something first about the Ayodhya dispute... you will see some parallels to the disputes about the Temple Mount. You will also see that I share a lot of work by Devdutt Pattanaik, who is my favorite mythologist (not just of Indian mythology), and he has been a leader in the campaign for LGBTQ rights in India; here is a lovely book he edited for example: I Am Divine. So Are You: How Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism and Hinduism Affirm the Dignity of Queer Identities and Sexualities ... maybe that is a book you would like to read as part of this class!
    And your Moose is a cutie: perhaps he will get to make an appearance in a story this semester, being naughty or not as you, the storyteller, narrate his adventures. There is a dog who plays a key role in the climax of the Mahabharata epic... so, keep an eye out for him too! The Mahabharata is a very long story, but an episode involving dog loyalty is a reward for making it all the way to the end. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! I too am an aspiring lawyer. I'm not sure what kind I want to be yet but reading about your interest in international human rights law is very interesting. I also love how you included so many pictures and links. Your blog looks fantastic! I also love to travel too and I think it's important so that you can connect with different cultures and learn from them. Thank you so much for sharing and I hope you have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sarah! I enjoyed reading about your career goals - it is always awesome to see someone that is passionate about what they want to do. I thought you had an interesting introduction; you really went out there with it and told interesting facts about yourself. I had never heard of the enneagram, so naturally my curiosity forced me to take it. I also have a puppy that is naughty. Moose is very photogenic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sarah! Reading your post it really looks like you have a pretty good plan for your future ahead of you. I am kinda jealous of the traveling that you have been able to do with your major that you are studying. Unfortunately, my degree doesn't have options for studying abroad. So, I hope in my future I will be able to travel and explore the world like you and gain a better understanding of other cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah! Moose is very precious. Enneagrams are so fun. I live for personality tests. I’m also a type 9, though I don’t remember the exact wing. Your comment on traveling to broaden your worldview was great! Understanding other cultures is really important today. I hope to travel as much as you someday. The places you’ve been sound incredible. Here’s to you becoming the next Amal Clooney! (Also the Mattress Firm conspiracy theory... that was wild.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah! SO I am so into the mattress firm conspiracy too. I can go on for ages. I love a bunch of conspiracy theories, so if you have any others, I would love some suggestions and maybe I can send some your way! Also, I love Amal Clooney. This summer I was in Italy and her and her husband were visiting their house on Lake Como and I tried to visit it just to meet her. I hope one day you have a house on Lake Como.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah!
    Great name by the way, I’m a Sarah too.
    I guess I never really thought about religion being so tied to human rights, especially for so many cultures outside the United States. I think it’s great that you’re taking this approach for your undergraduate before law school. It also sounds like you have a great plan to travel around and experience different cultures and religions first-hand. I think that will be invaluable in your future endeavors.
    I’m glad you explained the Mattress Firm story a little more and provided a link. I was confused by the title of your post, however it was very catchy! Now I’m curious if there is any validity to the story?
    Your dog is adorable! I love brindle colorings on dogs.
    Have a great semester and good luck in all the wonderful things you want to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah!
    I am so glad I came across your blog post because I realize how many similarities we have! I am also an enneagram type 9 and feel like it means we are the peacekeepers who also want and encourage change. I also was so relieved that someone else believes in the Mattress Firm conspiracy because it keeps me up at night. I am a huge lover of conspiracies and love to look at through them until I eventually believe them no matter how ridiculous they are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sarah,
    You are living the life! Your life sounds very fun and interesting I am also very into the the conspiracy theories and you are 100% right about Brittney Spears. Have you seen the fake cries conspiracy theory that happen at world events or the Nickelodeon conspiracy theories? Which country was your favorite to visit. I also think that its really nice that you got to see what you learned in a textbook in real life. I hope I never have that experience although because I am a bio-major so some of the things that I have learned about I would like not to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Sarah!
    I love that you're so confident in your passions and taking such big steps for your end goal, that're well-thought out but maybe not the obvious first choice (like majoring in religion to be a lawyer). Your post definitely inspired me with some questions. I'd be really curious to talk to you more about some examples of other cultural beliefs that seem to clash with Western views of basic human rights, and what your thoughts on the best way to navigate those waters are. Also, has studying religion in an academic context changed your personal experience with it at all? Nice to meet you, and best of luck with all your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah!
    First, I LOVED your introduction. It's so fun. Oh my goodness, thats so much traveling. I bet it was wonderful (i've never left the country). You definitely seem on the right track to reach your goals and i'm in awe of you. I've never thought about the mattress firms and Britney Spears stuff, but you can bet i'll be tied up online checking it out. you've made me really curious. And finally, your dog is super adorable. However you know he's that cute so you don't want to kill him when he misbehaves...kind of like toddlers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Sarah, I really enjoyed reading your introduction post! Your life sounds so fun with all the traveling you have been doing. I love traveling but I don't have that many opportunities to, so I am very jealous of you. I just took the Enneagram Test recently and I got type 2, so I am a helper who need to be needed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sarah! After I noticed your comment on my Introduction, I had to come return your greeting! We sat sort of close in Dr. HK's class, but I feel like I learned so much about you here I didn't know! First of all, you're so funny! I'll have to set aside some time to look into those conspiracies. Also, how cool that you're so traveled-I think these experiences with different peoples and cultures will serve you well as an International Human Rights lawyer. Also, I'm a Myers Brigg's personality test enthusiast for the same reasons you endorse ennegram, I agree with you that knowing yourself in such a way facilitates personal growth! This totally goes with Socrates' credo that I constantly remind myself: "the unexamined life is not worth living," since striving to understand ourselves allows us to see our actions and dreams on more than just a surface level, which in turn gives these choices we take and thoughts we have more worth and weight. I took the test you linked and found out that I am a Type 4, Wing 3, but almost tied with Type 9! I'll have to do some digging to see what this means! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sarah! My roommate is obsessed with the Mattress Firms conspiracy theory, too! It's wild. I think your major is incredibly fascinating. I study English, and a lot of times I really wish I understood more about religion so I could use those understandings as ways to interpret texts I read for class. Also, I think that your plan to go into the Peace Corps is really admirable. That's for two years, right? A really long time to be away from family and friends. I just read your Dora-themed story and am very disappointed I did not stumble upon your blog sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sarah! I really enjoyed reading your Introduction. It's crazy, this is Week 8 and I'm just coming across your blog. Your dream profession sounds very interesting and it sounds like you're very passionate about it. I'm kind of jealous that you've been to so many places, it is my dream to travel the world! Do you recommend any places for me to safely visit first? Several countries in Europe are at the top of my list. I love that you're into the Enneagram, I'm a Type 1 Wing 2 based on one of the tests that I took.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Sarah! I think that is so awesome that you have found something that you are so passionate about. Also, that is such an inspiring career choice. What a neat opportunity to touch so many lives! It sounds like you have been to some really neat places from all over the world! Do you have a favorite place that you’ve visited? What was your favorite place to study abroad? Best of luck on all of your future endeavors! It sounds like you have a lot of really neat ones coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Sarah! I think it's awesome that you want to be a human rights lawyer! I can tell it's something you're really passionate about and that's exactly what people need. I also love the ennegram test and am a 3 wing 2. Also your dog is absolutely adorable so thank you for the picture of him. He wanting to destroy cantaloups is so specific but really cute as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Sarah,
    I think a profession as a lawyer is very interesting! I bet you are quite good at arguing. ) I am also interested in your major. I have never heard of it but the way you talk about it makes me want to learn more! I also find your enneagram to be very interesting. I didn’t even know that enneagram was a thing till I read this post. As for conspiracy theories I can relate to that on occasion!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment